Thursday, December 30, 2004

Volkswalking and Geocaching

Today I went volkswalking and geocaching. Volkswalking is a non-competitive walking sport in which you maintain record books (events and distance) and seek to build upon your past achievements. The sport provides incentive to continue walking. I maintain an event book only and don't record distance. Today my partner Jan and I did the Utica Square year-round walk. There is a 5K and a 10K option. The walk begins and ends at the Med-X Drugstore. We did the 5K walk. This was walk number 170 for me. After I complete walk number 175, my present book will be filled up. Then I will start on the next book (events 176-200). To see what it's all about, go to www.ava.org.

Along the way we found two geocaches. Geocaching is a fairly new sport in which participants use a GPS receiver to locate hidden caches. We found two caches along the walk route. Later we found two additional caches in the area. To learn more about geocaching go to www.geocaching.com.

No comments: