Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Trip to Norman

Jan and I made a trip to Norman on Feb. 7 and 8. We visited an old friend, Dan Cagle, who lives there. (Dan is not old being in his mid-forties; it's just that I have known him since the late 80s.) I met Dan through his involvement in humanist activities. He was the leader of the OKC chapter of the American Humanist Association until the chapter folded sometime in the 1990s. Sadly, the leadership of the Stillwater chapter died off, and that chapter folded, too. The Tulsa chapter is the only remaining AHA chapter in the state.

But back to Norman. We met up with Dan, and we all did some geocaching together. I was able to log nine finds on the 7th. We were about to give up locating the final cache when we found it. We probably spent half an hour looking for it. It was cleverly hidden beneath the rail of an abandoned railroad track. The next day Jan and I visited the Oklahoma Museum of Natural History. Admittance to the museum is just five dollars. It's a bargain, especially if you have any interest in dinosaurs. Remains of dinosaurs are on display as well as life-size models. There is more in the museum than dinosaurs. There are displays having to do with various cultures of the world, and there is a photo gallery. The facility also houses a restaurant and bookstore/gift shop.

Also while in Norman we walked the labyrinth in Reaves Park. That labyrinth is a modified Chartre type. Whenever I find a labyrinth, I will walk it. I would like to some day set up a large labyrinth -- large enough that it can be used for a volkswalk. Two and a half kilometers in; two and a half kilometers back out.

This is my first entry to this log in over a month. I tend to bite off more than I can chew; thus some activities get neglected. Topics have come to mind that I want to write about, but I've not had the time to write. Getting exercise by walking is a higher priority than adding to this log. I'm happy to report that I'm on target with my walking for this year. At this point I have logged 48 miles of dedicated walking so far this year.



No comments: