Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Oklahoma Freethought Convention

The Oklahoma Freethought Convention was held today at All Souls Unitarian Church from noon to 7 pm.  HAT was one of the groups with a table.  The were 318 attendees, perhaps the largest gathering of freethinkers in Oklahoma.  As Kenny said to me today, "Did you ever think when you started this group we would reach this size?"  I had to admit not.

I arrived around 10 am to set up the HAT table.  Herb also arrived about that time.  Set up was easy since I had all my materials in a box.  I attached the banner to the cloth covering the table with duct tape.  Then I spread out the printed material on the cloth.

I collected e-mail addresses from those showing an interest in HAT.  I got 24 names and addresses.

The first speaker was Dr. William Morgan, formerly on the faculty of ORU.  He lost his faith and became agmostic.  He was followed by atheist Abbie Smith, a researcher at the University of Oklahoma.  The last speaker before the break was Seth, the Thinking Atheist.  Actually, The Thinking Atheist is the title of a series of videos on YouTube which he produced.

During the break, I drove down Peoria and had a couple of soft tacos at Taco Bueno.

Returning to the Convention, we heard two more speakers: AronRa and Matt Dillahunty, leader of the Austin Atheists.  I did not stay for the meet and greet.  I had been there for 8½ hours and had reached my fill of freethought talk for one day.

Below is a picture of Herb, our president.

No comments: