Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Methodist Book Club

This past Monday the Methodist Book Club met. We had read Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker. That was to be the book we discussed in September, but the September meeting was canceled with the book being carried over to October. Our memories of the book had grown a bit dim with us having read other things in the intervening month. Also, Amy (the group leader) forgot to bring the discussion questions, so the discussion was rather free-ranging.

For next month we will be reading Slavery By Another Name by Douglas Blalckmon. That was a book which I had recommended. We are also going to read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.

Tonight was all you can eat rib night at Rib Crib. We ate there and I had my fill of ribs. When we were in Springfield last week (Wed. - Fri.), we ate at Ryan's Steak House one evening. They had ribs, of which I ate quite a few, but they were not as good as Rib Crib ribs.

Yesterday I finished reading The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois. I first read this book about 55 years ago as a student in elementary school. It is the only book I have a memory of having read in elementary school, though I know there were others. The author was also the illustrator. The book is the story of a retired school teacher who sets out from San Francisco in a balloon. A bird lands on top of the balloon and punctures the fabric of the balloon, which causes the balloon to crash on the island of Krakatoa, which is between Java and Sumatra. As it would happen, the residents of the island have constructed a platform which they keep at the ready for swift evacuation. Attached to the platform are twenty balloons. A large volcano is on the island which rumbles constantly. One day it erupts forcing the families on the island to mount the platform and evacuate.

That's the story in a nutshell. The story appealed to me for I could see myself drifting along in a balloon.

No comments: