Tuesday, May 29, 2012

We visit the Ozark Folk Center

Last Wednesday we packed up the car and drove over to Harrison, Arkansas.  We spent the evening there and also went out in search of a few geocaches.  We stayed in a motel with a nearby all you can eat Chinese buffet.  We had excellent weather for our drive over to Harrison.  The next day my parents and my cousin Vicki from Houston drove down to Harrison, having spent the previous day in Branson.

The next morning we got back on the road for the short jaunt over to Mountain View.  It is about an hour and a half away from Harrison, but due to the mountains, sometimes you can drive only 40 MPH.

In the fall of this year, both my parents will turn 90 years old.  Dad is still driving.

At the Ozark Folk Center we walked through the crafts area, observing craftspeople plying their trade.  In the evenings, we went to the music performances.  I enjoyed hearing the Ozark mountain music.  I was able to hear three performances while we were there.

The food on the grounds of the state park was good.  The Skillet Restaurant is a full service restaurant from wich you  can observe squirrels cavorting outside the windows.  From the breakfast buffet you can eat your fill of scrambled eggs, sausages, biscuits, fruit, etc.  For lunch, one day we drove up to JoJo's on the banks of the White River, a few miles to the north.  On Sunday, my parents drove back to Springfield, while J and I drove back to Sand Springs, after searching for more geocaches along the way.

I took some pictures which I may post later.

We have plans for a couple more vacation trips later this summer.

No comments: