Monday, February 27, 2012

Fantastic Voyage

Last night I watched a DVD I checked out from the Tulsa Library titled Fantastic Voyage.  It is a science fiction story about a group of people who are trying to save a person with a brain injury.  Thanks to some medical technology, they are able to be miniaturized so that they can enter a person's blood stream and travel to the site of the injury.  The movie was made in 1966 and in some ways is very dated.  My interest in the movie springs from a book written by Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman which has the same title.  I am making preparations for a talk I will give next Sunday at Church of the Restoration.

My talk will be on the subject of Human Life Extension.  According to Kurzweil, we are only about 20 to 30 years away from some remarkable medical technology which will give us the capability to halt and reverse aging.  Kurzweil envisions nanobots which we inject into our blood stream to repair our bodies.  Nanobots are blood cell sized robots which are programmed to achieve a task.  Much of Fantastic Voyage and their other book Transcend focus on being healthy enough to get to that point in time.

No comments: