Sunday, August 31, 2014

A Nocturnal Visitor

Last night my wife and I went to bed around 11:30 pm. We had been asleep for a couple of hours when suddenly we heard the doorbell. Ding, dong, ding dong, ding, dong. I got out of bed and looked at my cell phone for the time. It showed 1:38 A.M. Who, I asked, comes visiting at this time of night?

Whoever it might be was persistent for he rang the bell a second time. Not knowing who was outside the door, I went to the door and said "Who's there?" loud enough so that the visitor could hear me through the door. The visitor made a short reply, but I could not make out what he said. I turned on the porch light to illuminate the area.

I proceeded to the window to see if I could get a view of the visitor. I went over by the piano hoping I could get a good view of the doorbell ringer. I saw the person -- a male, caucasian, about 25 to 30 years old, and rather swarthy looking -- standing in front of the door. It was no one I had ever seen before. He rang the bell once again.

By this time my wife was on the phone calling the police. The 911 center dispatched a patrolman, but he was in north Sand Springs when he got the call. The visitor decided to return to his vehicle parked in the street with motor running and lights on. There was also a second vehicle parked in front of our house, but it's lights were off. I could not tell if it was occupied.

The visitor got in the car and made a U-turn and proceeded south on 51st St. and disappeared into the night.

A couple of minutes later the police arrived. The patrolman came to the door and spoke with us. The patrolman just missed the visitor by two minutes.

After the visitor and policeman were gone, I noticed our neighbor was getting something out of his car trunk, or maybe he was putting something in it. As soon as he closed the trunk lid, he went inside his house. The time was a quarter until two.

We slept uneasy the rest of the night. When I got up at 7:15 this morning I notice the second car, the one parked in front of our house, was gone.

We were left to wonder what this whole incident was about.

No comments: