Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oklahoma City trip

As we drove into Oklahoma City, a light rain was falling. We drove directly to the Oklahoma City Art Museum, which is located in downtown Oklahoma City. We drove around a little looking for a place to park. We found a space about a hundred feet from the door. Admission to the special exhibit, Roman Art from the Louvre, was $12 per person. We paid and went on in. The display was quite large and included 184 works. Many were rather large, with one weighing more than 3 tons. We saw many busts of Roman emperors, sarcophagi, mosaics, and fresco paintings. Augustus, Marcus Aurelius, and Caligula were three individuals represented by statuary. We spent two hours viewing the displays before departing for Sand Springs.

We got back to Sand Springs about 5:30, just in time for the evening news. We watched the news and checked e-mail.

Next morning was Sunday and we got ready for Church of the Restoration in Tulsa. I usually go at 9:30 and make music with other members of the Music Care Ring. We usually practice a piece to perform in the service and spend the reminder of the time singing and playing songs from “The Real Little Ultimate Jazz Fake Book.” The book contains over 625 songs in “fake book” style. When we arrived at the church we found it locked up. I got out my cell phone and called a member of the Music Care Ring and learned that Ken was out of town and the music ring would not be meeting that day.

Jan and I decided to go out to McDonald’s for breakfast. We had just gotten back into the car when my cell phone went off. I didn’t recognize the number and answered the call. My speakerphone was on, so the voice of the caller was broadcast throughout the car. Jan was so disturbed by the call that she took my cell phone away from me. I don't know when or if I will get it back.

We went back to the church, arriving shortly before the beginning of the service. Our minister, Gerald Davis, sang the special music for the service. And then he gave the sermon. Early in the service, we have a time for lighting candles for our joys and concerns. I lit a candle on behalf of Bill Moyers and his televison program, Bill Moyers Journal.

The next day, Monday, Gail came over to practice piano duets with me. We are working on a difficult piece right now. It is Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens.

That evening I went to my mosaics class at Waterworks Art Studio. I began my project, which is a set of house numbers I hope to place on my house, assuming the project turns out okay.

Tuesday we went grocery shopping, and today, Wednesday, I had a luncheon with some friends at the White River Fish Market around noon. I had planned on going to drumming, but drumming was canceled due to some of the members being sick.

No comments: