Sunday, February 22, 2009

Music

While I was in Springfield last week, I picked up some more piano duet music. I bought “Jazz Prelude” by William Gillock, “Buckeye Blues & Boogie” by David Karp, and two books: “Piano for Two” arranged by Carol Matz and “Celebrated Piano Duets” by Robert D. Vandall.

“Piano for Two” contains Grieg’s “Anitra’s Dance,” Joplin’s “The Cascades,” Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Song of India,” Gounod’s “The Marionette’s Funeral March,” Ward’s “America The Beautiful,” and “Fandango” by Carol Matz.

“Celebrated Piano Duets” contains arrangements of “The Water Is Wide,” “Shadow Dance,” “Moonlit Evening,” ”Marche Macabre”, ”Irish Air,” “Holiday Waltz,” and “Birch Tree Rag.”

Today Gail and I played at Church of the Restoration. There were about 20 people in attendance. We played two waltzes by Scott Joplin: “Harmony Club Waltz” and “Binks’ Waltz.” It worked out very well with February being Black History Month. Gail and I will get together for our next practice on Friday.

Rev. Davis used as the text of his sermon the story of Shadrack, Meshak, and Abednego. At one point in the sermon, Rev. Davis said “Shadrack, Meshak, and a Bad Negro.” I think only Rev. Davis, a black man, could get away with saying that.

In the afternoon, I attended the Tulsa Atheist Meetup February meeting. We had one of the smallest gatherings we have ever had: about 10 people.

No comments: