Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day

Around noon, my wife and I (she doesn’t like for me to refer to her by name in this blog) went to the Fitness Center at TCC West for some exercise. I did a hundred reps on the abdominals machine and then walked for an hour around the elevated circular track overlooking the basketball court.

Later on we watched NOW with David Brancaccio. Due to the fundraising on OETA, Bill Moyers Journal was replaced by some program the folks at OETA thought their viewers would probably prefer. Fortunately, the Moyers program can be viewed in its entirety on the Internet.

Yesterday, while moving the 6-foot bookcase (around midnight) in the living room to another spot in the living room, I bumped it into the light fixture and broke the light fixture. I think we moved everything in the living room (except the piano) to another location. So maybe tomorrow we can look for a replacement for the broken fixture.

The need to rearrange the living room came about by the gift of a TV from my son. My son bought a new 52” TV. It’s a flat screen LED type TV. The TV we got from my son (his former TV) was of a greater depth than the one it is replacing. At first we tried moving the entertainment center out further from the wall. The space between the wall and the entertainment center (with exposed wires) was such that my wife said “Let’s try moving it to the other said of the room.” But in order to do that the dresser in that position had to be moved. So everything got moved around, save the piano.

This morning we went back to the fitness center for the sixth time this week. They are closed on Sunday. I did 120 reps at the 50 lb. setting on the abs machine. After that I walked for an hour.

We came home and showered, and then my wife said we should go to The Crescent Café if their Valentine’s Day special had started. I called and was informed that the Valentine’s Day special had started at 11:00 am. So we drove over to the Crescent and told the waitress that we wanted the Valentine’s Day special. She said it didn’t start until 5:00 pm that day. Since we were there, we ordered lunch.

In the afternoon, I attended Secular Singers at Gail’s house. There were four of us there: Randy, Bea, Gail, and myself. We made music for about two hours. Gail was on an animal rescue mission when we arrived, but she arrived after about 15 minutes. Gail is a certified wildlife animal rescue specialist. She gets called out frequently on such missions. Her husband, Glenn, met us at the door and entertained us with the Beatles’ “When I’m 64” on his guitar. Toward the end of the session we sang "California Dreaming." We thought about The Mamas and The Papas, and since we are all beyond the mid-fifties in age, we thought back to the 60s.

That evening we went back to The Crescent and ate the Valentine’s Day special, which was steak and shrimp, baked potato, salad, roll, beverage, topped off with a brownie with ice cream and whipped topping.

Afterwards we drove by Nick’s and got Ayla and took her home with us.

No comments: