Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bible study in high schools

I was reading an article on teaching the Bible in high schools. The following is a paragraph from that article:

The Christian Bible has had an influence on art, culture, music, and writing. These Bible study courses will merely provide history on how the Bible has influenced Western civilization. The Christian Bible will also be used as the textbook and it does not matter which version is used. Students may bring their own Bibles from home.

If I were taking such a course, I would use Queen Jane's Version as my translation of choice. This translation, which was published just over ten years ago, is the work of Douglas A. Rankin. Subtitled The Complete and Uncensored Translation for a New Millennium, it is a monumental work. Scattered throughout the text are 24 pictorial icons which call the reader's attention to certain themes which recur in the text. The book is published by Emporia Press of Dallas.

3 comments:

BeamStalk said...

So is the Jefferson Bible good too?

Dan Nerren said...

The Jefferson Bible would be okay but it is not as good as the QJV. For those unfamiliar with the Jefferson Bible, it is a Bible created by Thomas Jefferson by removing elements of supernaturalism and superstition from the KJV. The moral teachings of Jesus is about all that is left.

I bought a copy of the QJV shortly after it was published in 1999. I can't imagine someone sitting down and re-writing the entire Bible. What a task!

You won't find the QJV in the Tulsa Library. I made an effort to get the book added to the library's collection a few years back and ran into a brick wall. My letter of rejection said something like "this is not the kind of book we want to have in our library."

You might try to get it through interlibrary loan. I will try to post a quote from the QJV soon.

BeamStalk said...

I meant more of would it be allowed under this idea (it seems like it should). I will have to look for a QJV sometime.