Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Four more inches of snow

With the temperature at 17 degrees now, I can report that we received four more inches of snow overnight. We are in hibernation mode once again. We are well stocked with food; we only go out for the newspaper in the morning.

I recall watching an episode of a Bill Moyers's program several years ago titled, I think, "Strange Weather." In this program Moyers interviewed the than head of the Environmental Protection Agency. At that time the head of the EPA was concerned about the effect of global climate change on the weather. The dumping of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (by automobiles and industry) is a chief cause of global warming, which in turn leads to erratic weather phenomena.

It is supposed to warm up starting on Friday. With each passing day, we get closer to spring.

I was just reading the January issue of National Geographic. There is an article on the earth's population in the issue. I notice that in 1948, the year I was born, the population of the Earth was between 2 and 3 billion. It is now approaching 7 billion. The magazine will be running articles this year on population growth.

No comments: