Friday, March 20, 2009

Library program, back pain, and hospitals

I did not mention the books I have read in the TCCL reading program currently underway. They are:
* The World in Six Songs by Daniel Levitin
* Freethinkers by Susan Jacoby
* The Age of Unreason by Susan Jacoby
* An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore
* Meeting Jesus Again For The First Time by Marcus Borg
* Me of Little Faith by Lewis Black (still reading)

I have been free of back pain since the surgery I had in January 2007. However, it came back last night. Following a shower, I attempted to put on my underwear while standing up. I have done this many times. It's no great feat, but I am 61 years old now. I guess I felt like I had something to prove to the world. After getting the last leg in my briefs, I landed solidly on the floor standing up. I immediately felt the pain of old. Right away, I went to bed.

When I got up next morning, the pain was still there. We drove to the hospital to visit my Dad. Across the street is a Walgreen's. I walked over there and bought a bottle of Aleve. I went back to my car and got a bottle of water out of the trunk and took one pill. Soon the pill took effect. Later on I went back to my parents' apartment and took a nap. I also called the office of my neurosurgeon (he did the back operation). They told me he was out and would not be back until Monday. (This story is to be continued.)

My Dad is holding up as well as can be expected for a man 86 years old. His doctor said he will probably have to go into transitional care after being released from the hospital.

No comments: