Sunday, June 14, 2009

Today's events

I awoke this morning to the sound of thunder. While I was taking a shower, J was taking Ayla back to her parents. Joy called and said she was reluctant to get out in the stormy weather. Joy was to sing the special music at the service this morning. I offered to give Joy a ride. I called Barbara and told her I could provide a ride for her to church, also. When J got back, she ate a bowl of oatmeal and we headed for University Towers, where Barbara lives. From there we went to Joy’s house near All Souls Church.

We arrived at Church of the Restoration a little after 11:00 am. Considering the weather, I was surprised to see 15 people were there. We proceeded through the order of service. When we came to the sermon, I took the pulpit and read a 20-minute sermon by Michael Schuler. After the service was over, Barbara and Joy went with me to Randy’s house for the Humanist Discussion Group. We are beginning the study of a book written by Michael S. Gazzanica titled Human: The Science Behind What Makes Us Unique. Glenn V. gave the opening remarks about the book.

Following the discussion, Joy and I sat down at the piano for some impromptu boogie woogie (I played secondo; Joy played primo). Soon J arrived (she had driven back to Sand Springs to spend time with our grandchildren). We took first Joy back to her house and then Barbara to her apartment.

No comments: