Saturday, September 12, 2009

The small poetry group

Today was the day when we were to hold a practice session of Secular Singers. The session was set to take place at Gail’s house, but something came up and I had to switch the location to my house. I notified the other members about a week prior to the practice session. During the week I got a call from Bea who is about to leave on another vacation to Italy. A couple days ago I got a call from Randy, and he said he would be at a funeral in Moore on Saturday.

I guess you could say I saw the handwriting on the wall. With three of the four regulars (I being the fourth) away for other activities, I decided to cancel the practice.

I got in nine miles of walking this past week: three miles each on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I walked at TCC, which is about three miles from my house.

Last evening, I went to a meeting of the small poetry group which meets at Border’s Bookstore. There were eight people for the meeting. We read and talked about some poems written by William Butler Yeats. There were six poems by Yeats in the book we are using. I made some copies of another of my favorite Yeats poem, “Crazy Jane Talk with the Bishop.” I passed copies of the poem around and then read it, and we talked about it. Our leader was absent last night. She had just returned from a long trip to Russia. She had planned on being there, but was undergoing a series of allergy shots. She had to get a shot every fifteen minutes for a few hours. It was something like a dozen or two dozen shots in all that she had to get.

Before leaving we decided that next time we met we would talk about the poetry of Robert Frost. Frost is one of my favorite poets, along with Philip Appleman, Vachel Lindsey, and Langston Hughes. The latter three are not found in the book we are using, “The Best Poems of the English Language,” edited by Harold Bloom.

Tomorrow there is no service at Church of the Restoration. Tomorrow is something called "Homecoming" at All Souls. However, I will not be going. I have told Jan that I will go with her to the Methodist church.

No comments: