Monday, January 14, 2013

Freezing rain

It has turned cold in Oklahoma.  Yesterday, as I was about to leave for church, I discovered that we had received some freezing rain overnight.  I was unable to open the door of my car.  There was a sheet of ice covering most of the car.  I was able to gain entry into my car through the passenger side.  I crawled over into the driver’s seat and started the car.  From the inside of the car I was able to get the driver’s door open.  I went back into the house and filled up a glass with warm water and poured it over the car windshield, melting the ice.  I had to do that three times with two glasses of water before I was able to gain enough visibility to drive the car to church.
I was ten minutes late getting to church.  Mary was already into her lesson.  The lesson for the day was based upon a Bill Moyers program which we watched.  He was interviewing Jonathan Haidt, author of The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Religion and Politics.  (It’s available on the Kindle for $15.)  Rev. Gerald Davis gave the sermon.  He is now blind and has to be led around, but he is quite cheerful and upbeat.
I bought a few bargain books yesterday for the Kindle: Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and  Thriving At Work, Home, and School by John Medina, Merriam-Webster’s Book of Word Histories, and Word Myths: Debunking Linguistic Urban Legends by David Wilton.
This morning I picked up Nick at Midas where he had taken his car to get the brakes worked on.  Later, Gail came over and we played duets for about an hour.  I think our next performance piece will be “Cleopha,” a march written by Scott Joplin.

No comments: