Friday, July 09, 2010

Poetry Group

I was feeling a lot better after getting two epidural steroid injections in May. But lately, the pain came back. We went grocery shopping today, and I found it necessary to sit down and rest after being on my feet for about 20 minutes.

The last time I visited my back surgeon he said to let him know if the pain came back and he would phone in a prescription. I phoned his office yesterday and they phoned in a prescription for a pain killer to my pharmacy. After finishing the grocery shopping, we went by the pharmacy and picked up the prescription. I took the first tablet about 2 pm. The drug took effect immediately, and the pain completely left my body. For the remainder of the afternoon, I was floating on Cloud Nine. The drug gave me the ultimate in relaxation.

At 7:00 that evening, J and I went to the Poetry Group which meets at Border's Bookstore. There were six people there. We each brought a few poems which we read to the group. The poems I brought are: "Silver Jack", an anonymous poem about a conflict on a cattle drive; "Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes" by Billy Collins; and "Harlem Sweeties" by Langston Hughes. Next month we will look at the poetry of James Whitcomb Riley.

The effect of that drug is still with me eight hours later. I should sleep well tonight.

No comments: