Saturday, December 13, 2008

Herb's Funeral

Friday afternoon, we went to Herb’s funeral. It was held at Allen Freewill Baptist Church between here (Prattville) and Sapulpa. Herb was a deacon there and was quite active in the church. His pastor preached for about thirty minutes. A three-woman vocal ensemble sang two songs. We expect Mrs. Foust will sell the house and move into a retirement community. The pastor at the church was very upbeat in his message.

The next day, Saturday, I got a haircut at Rorie’s. I had left early to go by Wal-Mart and buy a fill valve for the hall bathroom toilet. Since I had only one item, I got in line for those purchasing ten items or less. Being around Christmas, there were plenty of shoppers there. I got in line. There were three people ahead of me. The man in front of me had his quota of ten items. Unfortunately, one item, a set of wrenches, would not scan. The clerk, obviously a new employee, called for a price check. After a wait of two minutes, I realized I would be late to get my haircut if I stayed around any longer. I placed the fill valve on top of a cooler filled with soft drinks by the checkout stand and made a beeline for my car. I made it to Rorie’s right at 4:00 pm.

After I got my haircut, I went back to Wal-Mart and the item I was going to purchase was still on top of the cooler. I picked it up and went to the back of the line. The store was so crowded that I had to park in the front parking lot near Warehouse Market.

I am presently reading God’s Problem by Bart Ehrman. In his discussion of the book of Ecclesiastes, Ehrman quotes two passages from the book and then comments on the advice:

This is what I have seen to be good: it is fitting to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of life God gives us; for this is our lot. (Eccles. 5:18-19)

So I commend enjoyment, for there is nothing better for people under the sun than to eat, and drink, and enjoy themselves, for this will go with them in their toil through the days of life that God gives them under the sun. (Eccles. 8:15)

This strikes me as some of the best advice to be found in any ancient writing. Even though there are people (lots of people!) who claim to know what happens to us when we die, the truth is that none of us knows, and none of us will “know” until it’s too late for our knowledge to do us any good. My own suspicion is that the Teacher was right, that there is no afterlife, that this life is all there is. That should not drive us to despair of life, however. It should drive us to enjoy life to the uppermost for as long as we can and in every way we can, cherishing especially the precious parts of life that can give us innocent pleasure: intimate relationships, loving families, good friendships, good food and drink, throwing ourselves into our work and our play, doing what we enjoy.

No comments: