Monday, August 17, 2009

Thoughts on health care reform

I am going to quote myself tonight. I wrote an entry just now for another blog I maintain: Liberal Action Network. I have five blogs in all: Dan Nerren (my personal blog), Humanist Association of Tulsa, Tulsa Atheist Rendezvous, Liberal Action Network, and FFRF Tulsa. Most of my postings are to my personal blog.

The August meeting of the LAN was held on the 11th at Zarrow Regional Library. There were four present at this meeting. Bob H., Fred B., Kathy C., and myself. We wrote letters on behalf of health care reform. The prospects of Obama's health care reforms passing Congress do not look good right now. He has had to make so many compromises that if the bill is passed by Congress, it is likely to be so watered down as to not have much meaning.

I favor the single-payer system in place in many other industrialized nations. It was never even considered. Obama's "public option" faced enough resistance that he has now moved to consider "co-ops." The insurance industry has such a stranglehold on this country that they might just choke it to death. I would like to see the middlemen (insurance industry) removed from the picture, but we may have gone beyond the point of no return on this issue.

No comments: