Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Events of the day

We slept late this morning. When I arose, it was raining. We got a good rain today - a little over an inch. No need to water the garden today. The best part of my garden is the cucumbers. We have harvested six cucumbers thus far, and there are another six on the vines soon to be ready to pull. My pepper plant yielded one puny pepper, and then something got hold of it and overnight the leaves were gone.

The tomato plants this year are a disappointment. We have many green tomatoes, but they have been slow to ripen. All in all, I think it would have been better to sit out this year of gardening. No more frogs have sprung from my topsy turvy, and I have found no more tomato horn worms on my tomato plants.

We went grocery shopping this afternoon. We had plans to attend a jazz concert at the Gilcrease Museam this evening. We were delayed by the resurfacing work being done on Highway 97. It looked to me as if the highway was in good shape, but this seems to be the season for road work. A perfectly good road is being torn up and resurfaced, causing delays for the motoring public. We found ourselves in a slow moving single lane of traffic that moved at a snail's pace. By the time we got to the museum, we were informed that there was standing room only at the event. Considering the recent trouble I have had with my back, we decided to leave.

When we got back to Sand Springs (about seven miles away), we stopped at Lin Cuisine, a Chinese Restaurant on Charles Page Blvd. We each ordered a meal. So large are the servings that we should have ordered just one meal. The portions of our two meals we could not eat in the restaurant we brought home in a take out container. That will be our lunch tomorrow.

We watched a DVD I checked out from the library. It was a National Geographic program about volcanoes in Hawaii.

No comments: