Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Sunday

Today J went with me to Church of the Restoration. I was part of the program this morning. We are examining extra-biblical materials. Last Sunday, the congregation viewed "Banned from the Bible," a DVD of a program originally aired on the History channel. You can see parts of it on YouTube, for those interested.

The focus of today's portion of the DVD was the first chapter of Genesis. We watched a few minutes of the DVD and then Joy read the first chapter of Genesis from the King James Version. I followed with the same passage from the Queen Jane's Version.

Next Vanessa spoke about the two different versions of the creation story found in Genesis. Then I read a passage from The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets by Barbara G. Walker about Lilith. According to legend, Lilith was Adam's first mate. Both Adam and Lilith were created from dust, and Lilith insisted on equality with Adam. God exiles Lilith and makes a new mate for Adam using one of Adam's ribs as a starting point. Eve, being made from Adams' rib, is willingly subservient to Adam. We all regard Adam, Eve, and Lilith as part of the Hebrew mythology.

The Greeks had their mythology. So did the Romans, the Norse, and many other cultures. It would be odd if the Hebrews did not have theirs.

After church was over (around 12:30), we went to the Delta Cafe for lunch. We had a coupon which allowed both of us to eat there for $14.10. Getting around in Tulsa nowadays is a real chore. There is road construction about everywhere you go.

When we got home, I took a nap. J woke me up in time to go to drumming. There were four of us there today. Joel was late getting there due to road construction. I told the Prices about Ayla's interest in drumming. They said it would be OK to bring her sometime to watch as we drummed.

I have been trying to brush up on my knowledge of the Russian language. I have checked out a lot of material from the Tulsa Library. One of the items I have checked out to me is "Stories from Around the World," a DVD with five stories. Each story is told in both English and Russian. The dialogue is displayed on screen as it is spoken. I find it very useful. I might purchase the DVD from Amazon, where it sells for $15.

I did not post any pictures today, but I still have a handful of photos to go before I run out.

The weather today was not as hot as it has been. It is 5 to 10 degrees cooler than is has been. I'm ready for the fall weather.

I checked my garden today. I saw no more tomato horn worms. The tomato plants are all tall and leafy; however, they have produced little fruit.

Yesterday, I kicked the seventh frog out of my topsy turvy container. I got a stool and opened the lid and looked inside but saw no more frogs. We have harvested about six cherry-size tomatoes from the plant so far.

Yesterday, Friday the thirteenth, J and I met with the Poetry Group at Border's. We listened to David M. talk about the poetry of James Whitcomb Riley. David was a native of Indiana, the state where Riley lived. Next month we will read poetry written by Billy Collins

Before that we made a trip to Restoration to talk with Vanessa about Sunday's program. We also went to Staple's to redeem a $30 voucher for recycled ink cartridges. I still have a 5-ream box of paper I got with the last voucher which I have not yet opened.

No comments: