Sunday, August 29, 2010

Recent happenings

This morning I went to church. I got there about a quarter to 11:00. Mary was already there and had the church unlocked. I went in and sat down at the piano and began playing. People were slow about getting there this morning.

The service got started about 10 minutes past the hour. There were five of us there when the service began. Steve Nunn walked in about 20 minutes past the hour. I had loaned him my copy of Queen Jane's Version of the Bible, which he had brought back for me. Joy and Mary sang a duet of "Dream" (Dream a little dream of me). They sang a cappella since I had no music to read. After the service, we talked a bit about future services.

The topic of today's service was dreams. This is a topic which is of interest to Mary. Her talk was interesting. Following the service, we talked a bit about the subject.

I learned Saturday at the FFRF Tulsa meeting that Randy will be gone on September 11, the day we are scheduled for Secular Singers. Randy is such a key singer in our group that I am tempted to call off the September rehearsal and instead organizer a trip to Diamond, Missouri (about 10 miles south of Joplin) to take part in the activities there. That Saturday is Prairie Day at the George Washington Carver National Monument. All the activities that day are free. There will be Ozark storytellers, musicians, prairie exhibits, and African-American storytellers. It is just ten miles south of Interstate 44. I have driven past there several times, but have never taken the time to visit the Monument.

As the pianist today at church, I played a couple of hymns, plus the opening and closing music. After the service, I came home and ate a sandwich for lunch. At 3;30 pm I was at the Price's for drumming. Last week we did not meet. Joe and Lou were at a drumming workshop in Dallas. They talked about their experience there for about 15 minutes and then we started drumming.

In the evening, we went to the new Family Life Center of the Methodist Church. There was a large crowd there tonight. It probably numbered in the 200s. The dinner was a potluck.

No comments: