Friday, June 11, 2010

Poetry Group

Our yard man came by today and mowed our front and back yards. The grass seems to have grown very fast recently. I mowed it just a few days ago and now it was needing to be cut again.

Tonight the Poetry Group met at Border's Bookstore. There were seven of us in attendance. We began at 7 pm and went until about 9 pm. We did something different tonight. Rather than choosing a poet from the anthology we have been using, tonight we each selected two of our favorite poems and read them to the group. I choose two poems by my favorite poet, Philip Appleman. Both poems are based on characters from the Old Testament: Noah and Sarah. In fact, the titles of the poems are "Noah" and "Sarah." Both are lengthy poems taking ten to fifteen minutes to read.

David liked this new procedure so well that he suggested we do the same thing next month. I'm glad he did. I love the oral reading of poetry. I think next month I will read a poem by former poet laureate of the U.S., Billy Collins. The title is "Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes." What other poem should I read? What is your favorite poem?

No comments: