Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Sinkhole opens beneath interstate highway

This morning we went over to Nick's and picked up Ayla and took her to the library. While she attended the children's program, I read the newspaper and looked at a book. Afterwards we had lunch at the Crescent Cafe. Then we returned Ayla to her house.

In the afternoon, a friend of mine, Steve Nunn, came by to go over Sunday's program at church. This Sunday is Humanist Sunday at Restoration. I will be delivering the message and others will be doing their part. I will also be playing the piano as Joy plays her guitar. Handel's Sarabande in D minor is the selection we will be playing.

I think my tomato plants are in trouble. They don't look too healthy. They appear stressed. They have not grown any since they were placed in the ground, and some of the leaves have turned yellow. I mixed up some plant food and applied that to the plants. We made a trip over to Home Depot where I bought one more tomato plant and a bag of potting soil and a topsy-turvy container. You pour the water in at the top and the plant grows out the bottom.

As we were going over to Tulsa, we noticed the traffic was moving slowly across the Arkansas River bridge. We came back via 71st St and Highway 75. When we got near the junction of Highway 75 and I-44, we noticed the highway patrol had blocked off 1-44 at that point. We knew something was up.

Watching the evening news later on that night, we learned that a sinkhole had opened up beneath I-44 near Lewis Ave. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The highway department spokesman said the highway would reopen tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: