Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Busy day

We had a busy day. So busy that we did not get around to going to TCC to walk.

We got up this morning and I fixed blueberry pancakes (with the assistance of the head cook). I had an appointment at my dentist to get a crown seated. After about a dozen times of putting it on and taking it off (and making two lucky saves when the thing almost went down my throat), the crown finally got seated. It was now 11:00 am. I had an 11:20 am meeting to make in Tulsa. We were going to drop off some library books in Sand Springs but skipped going to the Charles Page Library to save time.

We arrived at the White River Fish Market about 11:25. Gail and a couple of others were already seated at a table for the February ALGAE gathering. ALGAE is an acronym for "A Little Group of Atheists Eating." There were seven people at the luncheon, including one first-time attendee. There were seven of us there: Larry, Dave, Don, Gail, Marilyn, J and myself. I had the broiled seafood platter. WRFM has the best scallops. I love them dipped in butter. After we ate, we sat around for conversation.

It was about 1:45 pm when we left the restaurant. We went to the credit union and withdrew some money to make the final payment on my hearing aids. We went by Dr. Shirk's office, and gave them the check. Next we drove by the location where contra dances are held. Gail and her husband attended the last time the group met. I am hoping the J and I will be able to attend next time. The group meets once a month. If you are not familiar with contra dancing, go to YouTube and search for "contra dance lessons."

We had time remaining before the 3:00 pm showing at the Circle Cinema and went to Saied's Music Store on Yale. I noticed they had some new music for piano duo. I bought two pieces: "A Little Bit of Bach" and "Fiddle Faddle."

Next we went to the Circle Cinema. We got there early, so we went next door to the Kendall-Whittier Library. We read today's Tulsa World there.

We went across the street to the Circle Cinema. We saw Bill D. and his wife Jackie M. as we were going in. The movie we saw was Creation. The movie explored the conflict between Darwin and his religious wife. After reading the manuscript, Darwin's wife consents to the publication of his book, On the Origin of Species. At the same time as Darwin was mulling over his life's work, Alfred Russell Wallace had reached the same conclusion as Darwin. Wallace's paper on the subject was just twenty pages long; Darwin's was 250 pages long. The death of Darwin's young daughter (appears to be about 10 in the film) is a major event in his life.

We returned home in time to see the evening news. J went to the Methodist church for Ash Wednesday services while I stayed here. As she was leaving the church, she phoned me to see if I would like to meet her at the Crescent Cafe. I said yes. We met there and had dinner together.

No comments: