Thursday, February 04, 2010

Labyrinths

I have had an interest in walking labyrinths for a few years now. On occasion, we have walked a few. There are two I can remember in Oklahoma. One in in Norman and the other is in Tahlequah. There also was a temporary labyrinth set up in a church in Tulsa that I walked once. The labyrinth in Norman in in Reaves Park, and the labyrinth in Tahlequah is at Sancta Sophia Seminary (a religious retreat) a little ways outside of Tahlequah.

What got me thinking about labyrinths is an article I read in a magazine called The Current. According to the review of the book, Oklahoma Labyrinths - a Path to Inner Peace by Gail Peck, the author cites 70 labyrinths in the state. I checked a web site I used to look at (Grace Cathedral in San Francisco), and noticed that the labyrinth locator at the site now list more labyrinths in Oklahoma than the last time I looked at the site, which was probably five years ago.

I ordered a copy of the book from Amazon. My son, Nick, gave me a gift card for $50 for Christmas. This was my first time to use the card.

I have a VHS tape which I used to show my friends about labyrinth walking. Proponents of labyrinth walking claim the activity has spiritual dimensions. I have walked six or seven labyrinths but have not noticed anything spiritual about them. I suspect a lot depends upon the walker's prior experiences. But I continue to walk one whenever I come across one. Other cities in Oklahoma have labyrinths including Oklahoma City, Ponca City, Tonkawa, and Shawnee.

We did our usual walk at TCC today - 4 miles. Stopped again at Subway on the way home and had a Black Forest ham sandwich. We ate it there and read the newspaper while we were in the store. We later went to the bank and deposited some money in Luke and Ayla's savings accounts and paid our annual fee on our safe deposit box. Then we went to the library and I picked up some books which had come in for me.

No comments: