Friday, May 14, 2010

Today's activities

Our first event of the day was a Tulsa Town Hall which was held at the Performing Arts Center. It was raining, and that may explain why the crowd was down somewhat from other TTH events we have attended. Today's speaker was Dr. Rufus Fears, professor at OU in Norman. He is a good speaker and talked to us about the early leaders of this country: Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Mason, Morris, and others. He spoke without notes and included anecdotes from the lives of these men which made his talk come to life.

I had heard him before on CDs of the lecture series Books That Can Change Your Life made by The Teaching Company. It is a series of 24 lectures, each about a famous person and what they wrote. Please contact me if you would like to listen to this series. He spoke without a single note and kept the audience captivated for over an hour.

When I got home, I finished up a list of HAT members with relevent info (street address, phone numbers, etc.) and took the list to a copy shop and had 25 copies made. I will distribute the list tomorrow at the HAT meeting.

This evening, I went to the monthly poetry group meeting at Border's Bookstore. There were just four of us tonight: Sandra, David, Mary, and myself. We read poetry by William Collins, Thomas Gray, Christopher Smart, and William Cowper. I read Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard." Gail, the backbone of this group, was away on vacation. We decided that next month we will choose two of our favorite poems and read them to the group.

No comments: