Sunday, May 02, 2010

Today's happenings

Today being Sunday, I went to Church of the Restoration. Attendance was about 30 -- a bumper crop of devotees. The reason for the jump in attendance is a youth group from Topeka was on a trip, and our church was one of the stops. They spent Saturday night in the sanctuary. There were five or six adults and the remainder were teenages. They had attended the service at All Souls prior to coming into our sanctuary.

The group had visited a museum in north Tulsa which tells about the Race Massacre of 1921, in which several blacks (dozens? hundreds?) were killed. Much of north Tulsa was torched. Many businesses were destroyed, including the famous black Wall Street area of Tulsa. The grounds on which our church stands was part of the destruction. The rage even took to the air as people with private planes circled about trying to shoot innocent blacks on the ground. Many blacks fled the city never to return.

From here the group is to travel on the OKC and visit the Bombing Memorial. Before returning to Topeka the group will have visited the Trail of Tears Museum in Tahlequah. Several of the youth took part in our service by lighting a candle during the "joys and concerns" part of the service. In fact, all of the candles were lit during this part of the service. It took quite some time just to get through this portion. It is a good thing the speaker did not speak a long time.

Barbara was at church and asked if I was going to go to Herb's in the afternoon. Herb had called a meeting to discuss some matters relating to HAT. I told her I was intending to go, and she asked if she could ride with me to the meeting.

We stopped at Arby's for lunch and then went on to Herb's. There were seven people there: Ron, Randy, John L. Herb, Barbara, Marilyn, and myself. We talked about matters ranging from the formation of committees to a review of the bylaws. The meeting lasted a long while. Herb had prepared a sheet with seven items for discussion.

When I got home (just before news time), I noticed the yard had been mowed and the hedges trimmed. Our new yard man had been here. I hope to hear something from my doctor tomorrow regarding the MRI I had taken last Thursday.

Next Sunday, Gail and I will be playing at Restoration again. We will work up our piece tomorrow for Sunday.

No comments: